Last week I wrote this post about using Dynamips to run Cisco IOS images as a guest in VMware ESXi. The instructions are long and could be complex for a novice sysadmin. To simplify the installation I have created a virtual appliance that is a little easier to use.
The appliance can run multiple simulated IOS routers and switches. Juniper JUNOS is also supported.
I have minimized the footprint, set common defaults, and included several example files including the CCIE labs from INE.
Note: The issue with Dropbox has been fixed and link is working.
The vDynamips appliance has the following configuration:
OS: Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS 64 bit
Packages: sshd, open-vm-tools
Applications: dynagen 0.11.0, dynamips 0.2.12
eth1,2,3 and 4 – no IP, pass through to IOS images.
Size: .94 GB Thin, 10GB Thick
Deploying the Appliance
1. Download and import the OVA file.
2. Power on the Appliance.
3. Login with cisco/cisco.
4. The appliance defaults to DHCP. If you wish to change eth0 to static edit the /etc/network/interfaces file.
5. Upload an image to /opt/dynamips/images.
6. Create a project folder. See the examples of /opt/dynamips/vmware and /opt/dynamips/internetworkingexperts.
7.Create initial.configs and .net files. See examples in the project folders.
8. Create a startup script. See the /home/cisco/startup.sh example.